Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Scottish Wedding - June 9, 2007


I had just arrived in Africa on Jan 3 when I received the text from James informing me of his & Rhondas plans for a June 9 wedding to take place in Scotland – and 6 months down the track I had the pleasure of being a part of this momentus occassion at Loch Torridon, Inverness. - http://www.lochtorridon.com/

(In adhering to the rules of “what goes on tour stays on tour” this blog reflects a somewhat edited version of my weekend!).

Sinead, Ger and I made our way to Inverness via train, plane and automobile and arrived early evening to some of the most beautiful landscapes you will see in the UK, a fabulous castle called Loch Torridon and a bar that would make a whisky lover drool. Over the next few hours we ate seafood which rivals that from down under, mingled with fellow wedding guests, sampled the whisky and mellowed out with the location - a rather refined entry to the weekend.



THE WEDDING DAY:

James & Rhonda are one of the most inspirational couple I know – 2 fabulous individuals, who make one amazing couple – and here I was at their wedding day!

The weather was outstanding and we started the day with a scrummy brekky including the best haggis I have ever come across (everything was locally sourced/made) and then went for a walk around the loch where we managed to pick up a couple of dogs along the way that provided us with our entertainment... it was then back to Loch Torridon to get changed, toast Gers bday and have that necessary pre-wedding champagne…


The ceremony was at 4pm out on the front lawn by the loch – all the men were wearing kilts, the woman looked fine and Rhonda looked simply stunning (truly the belle of the ball)…

The evening seemed to continue on forever… there was champagne, whisky, fine food, Scottish dancing, cigars, more champagne, cutting of the cake, playing rugby/ bulrush on the front lawn (and on reflection probably should have changed out of my dress!) more dancing and laughing until it all becomes a bit blurry around the edges (a sign of a good party!)



The next day I was certainly feeling rough and the trip back to London was indeed a challenge! I felt sad to be at the end of such a great weekend and have to say goodbye to everyone…

What I remember most about the weekend, was the beautiful wedding of 2 people I care very much for, a fabulous group of their friends and family whom I really wish I could have spent more time with, a stunning location with views rivalling even my home country and that feeling of having experienced something quite special (well ok… except for that hangover!)

No comments: